Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Thrills

I went to the bookshop today. They still didn't have the book I asked about three months ago! (somebody cocked up and ordered the wrong title, and somehow getting the right one kept slipping through the cracks...)
So I went to the record shop instead and got Seasons 1+2 of Wire in the Blood. I love this show (though definitely not for the faint of heart or weak of bladder), and as for Robson Green... well, I've always been a sucker for a North English accent. So I'll be having a ball tonight :-)

2 comments:

Cidermaker said...

Hope you enjoyed them, Anilize. Have you read the books? I didn't think the latest TV series was as good as the first. As I understood it the plays were based on Val McDermid's characters but she did not write the stories on which the screenplays were based.

anilize said...

Yes, I've read all five books. And you're partly right; the first two season one episodes, 'The Mermaids Singing' and 'Shadows Rising', were based on the first two novels, and the episode 'Torment' in season four was based on the fourth. Otherwise the scriptwriters have made up their own stories, just basing the characters on Val McDermid's books.
Fun fact: The character 'Paula McIntyre' was, I believe, invented by the scriptwriters for the second TV season, and Val McDermid subsequently adopted her into the book series (she's in books 4 and 5).
And for my money the TV series just hasn't been the same since Hermione Norris quit.